The prosecutor of the International Criminal Court in The Hague, Antonio Guterres, on Wednesday said that he had suspended an investigation into whether a Philippine president had committed crimes against humanity.
The announcement came after President Rodrigo Duterte agreed to allow investigators to review 1,743 police killings from his country’s drug war. Between July 1, 2016, and September 30, 2017, the Philippine National Police have reported more than 7,000 deaths from what they say were drug suspects shot by officers.
Manny Pacquiao, one of the world’s most famous boxing icons, sparked outrage by saying recently that all suspected drug users should be killed.
Both Duterte and Manny Pacquiao are facing pressure from the international court for their drug war policies. President Rodrigo Duterte faces criminal charges from the International Criminal Court for his “executive order” authorizing the deaths of thousands of drug users. Manny Pacquiao has been asked to testify against Mr. Duterte in a Filipino court, the International Criminal Court said in a statement on its website. A letter was sent to the Supreme Court demanding that Mr. Pacquiao “immediately appear to testify at the ICC … regarding the president’s policy of murder.”
Philippine foreign secretary Alan Peter Cayetano, meanwhile, was suspended for four days from a security forum in Germany for allegedly abusing his office by urging his replacement to resign over the Benigno Aquino III’s contested elections earlier this year. “You can never do right when you are wrong,” he said.
Read the full story at CNN.
Philippine president seeks extraordinary Congress mandate to complete killings
Philippine president says he’s ‘sorry’ for human rights abuses
Philippine military now bracing for return of paramilitaries